What is Chiropody?
The practice of Chiropody is the assessment of the foot and the treatment and prevention of diseases or disorders of the foot by therapeutic, surgical, orthotic and palliative means.
Chiropody is practiced by qualified, regulated practitioners who have undergone goverment established and recognized programs and examinations.
Only those who are registered by the Ontario College Of Chiropodist are licensed to practice as Chiropodists or Podiatrists.
What can a Chiropodist do for me?
Chiropodists are trained to treat a variety of different foot problems. These problems include the following:
- Custom Foot Orthotics/Orthopedic Shoe
- Ingrown toenails treatment
- Fungal nail or skin conditions
- Foot, ankle, knee, hip or back pain
- Treatment for warts corns callus
- Diabetic care, wound care
- Treatment for flat feet, high arches
- Pediatric care, foot care for childrene
- Heel pain, plantar Fasciitis, foot pain
- Arthritic foot care, seniors foot care
- Bunions and other toe deformities
- Dry and cracked skin
- Congenital foot deformities
- Neuromas and peripheral neuropathies
- Sports injury and repetitive strain injuries
What might my treatment involve?
- Footwear advice
- Custom made or customized footwear
- Custom orthotics and ankle braces
- Therapeutic modalities, ultrasound, tens, stretching, strengthening, heat/cold
- Steroid injection or oral medications
- Minor surgical procedures
- Hands-on care; nail and skin management